Monday, November 18, 2013

The Critique Sandwich

Pole is a hard thing to teach.
Yes it's fun as hell, and watching your students face when they know they just nailed a move for the first time is probably one of the best feelings, but the mental and emotional intricacies are heavy.
I haven't been teaching for very long as of now, but I have already picked up on some key things.
The critique sandwich is my biggest one.
This is essentially:
1) What you did well
2) What wasn't good/What can be improved
3) Another thing you did well

People are sensitive, especially young women new to pole, and adding in other factors like other students getting a move while they aren't, and feeling self conscious, frustrated, etc, all come into play.
Sometimes it doesn't always seem time efficient or truly humanly possible to always make this critique sandwich happen, but if I give any criticism or feedback, it's 30% what can be changed to improve, 70% "you rock" comments.
If a student doesn't feel good about themselves, they won't feel good about their future or if they will get the next move. They may not even come back to pole if they had a bad class.
Positivity as a teacher is exhausting and difficult to always make sure you are expressing that it is genuine, but it's the most necessary part of it.
Even if I have a student that literally can't do a single thing I teach them, I encourage them for trying over and over and explain how they will be stronger and more knowledgeable the next time.
I have gotten to a point where I don't need to hear this extreme positivity, because I have the confidence in myself from my past that I can and will continue to excel, but sometimes when I am being taught by someone who doesn't recognize my hard work or only has things I can fix to say, I take them gratefully to improve, but I almost feel still some disheartened feelings by a lack of encouragement.
My favorite teachers are those who scream and shout when I finally get a move or congratulate me the next time they see me right away on a move a just posted online I finally achieved.
You can be an amazing teacher and still be uplifting and sweet. In fact, the ones that are the best teachers should be because then students will want to go to them and continue to learn.
It's remarkable what the phrase "that looked great" can mean to a student who is trying.
I'm working hard to not forget that.

No comments:

Post a Comment