Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Bigger is Better?

Has anyone else noticed that almost all of the pictures for
advertising,
magazines,
websites,
blogs,
competitions,
etc are of all of the
1) most flexible moves or
2) the hardest or
3) both?

And I swear this has just become more and more real over the last year...

Sometimes when I see a photo of someone just someone standing next to a pole I feel like I can breathe.
I don't literally feel like when I see someone standing next to a pole for a photo "well I can do that, I'm comfortable."
But when I see some crazy ass move on a book, or a magazine, or a website, I almost feel like "in order to be good I need to be able to do this right.now." (Maybe this is just me and I am giving you some insight into how I get moves so quickly - I get this anxiety about how I have so much to learn and do in pole and I feel I need to know it as soon as possible, and this motivates me to train really hard.)

Don't get me wrong. If you know me you know I love the crazy ass, difficult, flexy pole moves and I want to be able to do every.single.one.
Well - except for the freaking knee hold. I never want to try that shit again.

I also understand polers doing workshops and advertising themselves they need to express without words that they are experienced.
I am not at all bashing difficult pole trick photos, I have tons and tons and I love them when I see them as well.

I know a lot of people really hate the idea of pole being in the Olympics (and that is a whole 'nother... 10 blogs worth of writing and thoughts there) and I'm not giving my opinion about pole in the Olympics right now,
but one person in particular has told me that pole in the Olympics means that pole will only really mean that the people who are relevant are those who are young, strong, and flexible.
I kind of feel like in a lot of ways we are already moving towards that style now.
Perhaphs since it's more my style than dancing in heels is I surround myself with photos and videos of this type of poling, (My photos are increasingly of difficult tricks. Not me standing next to a pole. Maybe I am a part of this trend...)
but I also feel like simplicity in pole - actually dancing or just moving around the pole on the ground or simple photos is increasingly less revered as doing a move like the Anastasia (even though this requires stupid flexibility so I get the merit).

I just hope all forms and styles of pole continue to be celebrated.

Small thought -
and that is all for today <3 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment