Friday, October 4, 2013

Rhomboids? Or Maybe It's That You Have 4 Ribs Out.

So a precursor: I love blogs, but sometimes they are just too damn long! I'm going to work on being concise in my writings.(This is definitely not a jab against other bloggers, I just like short reads :P )

A handful of months ago I had some serious back pain. Like the wind was being knocked out of me by a sledge hammer whenever I would come out of inversions. Breathing was hard, sneezing was a terror, it all just hurt. I learned that it was my rhomboid muscles in my back. I got acupuncture for the first time, got some massages, and started going to the chiropractor a couple times a week. Eventually it went away and I was generally okay... for awhile.

I've unfortunately gotten pretty used to my upper back pain from pole and didn't do enough about it, and more importantly, I didn't want to stop poling. Stupid as hell, I know, but it's pole, so you know what I'm talking about!

Well, I'm injured again. Breathing, sneezing, inversions, they are all brutal. I went online to see other polers experiences, and on Studio Veena I found a woman that said it was actually her ribs and not her rhomboids that were the problem. She posted a link to a video about a woman explaining some of this theory (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMHeYa-8rGQ). This woman doesn't think it's a theory at all, and I think she may be onto something.

So I went to the chiropractor - 4 ribs in my back were out of place. He explained that painfulness breathing, it's the ribs. The tenderness is the ribs. Rhomboids do play a part in that when they are sore and tense they pop those ribs out of place, and rhomboids and the rest of your back muscles have knots often which need to be massaged out, but the ribs are a HUGE factor we don't ever talk about.

He popped them back and I feel a ton better. One is still pretty tender and I will go in soon for another adjustment, but for you polers with upper back issues, go ask a chiropractor if it could be ribs.
Good luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment